Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Day #2



The past two days have been a whirlwind to say the least!! I will make you all aware that I am on some really good drugs right now, so you can't hold me accountable for misspelled words or improper use of grammar. :)
We were finally able to hold Elliot for the first time! I just can't get enough of him! I am not sure where the black hair comes from, but it is so soft and silky. I think he could seriously do hair commercials! His breathing is still too fast so I have not been able to nurse him yet, but I am pumping for him until I can. For now he is being fed through a feeding tube and is up to about 30cc every 3 hours. He is doing great and really lets you know when he is hungry! Now that I have been able to get up and about a little more, we have been able to be there for his feedings and Brian even changed a couple of diapers! We met with the Dr this afternoon and they informed us that they have detected a heart murmur. They are going to do an echo cardiogram first thing in the morning to let us know what we are dealing with. The fact that he has the murmur coupled with the breathing issues is causing some concern, but it could still be a very minor issue. If the echo comes back fine, only showing the murmur that is able to just be monitored then they will go back to focusing on the breathing and feeding. He must be breathing under 60 in order to try to nurse or bottle, and must be taking all of his feeds by mouth for 2 days in order to come out of NICU. Hopefully we will have more answers tomorrow after the results of the echo.
I am still hoping to be discharged on Saturday. The whole bladder issue has not been fun, but they say each day will get easier as far as healing goes. I was really hoping that Elliot and I could go home together, but I am not sure if that is going to be the case or not. Alot can happen in a few days though so we are still hoping for the best.
Noah and Zane are doing well. Noah is having a great time with Grandma and Grandpa Baker and he has been able to meet his little brother for a few minutes. Poor Zane got the stomach flu yesterday so he is recovering with Grandma right now. I felt so bad for both of them!
I will update tomorrow when we know more!

6 comments:

bikurgurl said...

The pictures of you and Brian with Elliot are great :) If there is anything we can do, please let us know!! In the meantime, we're keeping all of you in our prayers!!

Tell Zane we're praying for a speedy recovery, but that we sent him a little something he'll get at your house that'll maybe tide him over ;)

Love you all!!

Kelly and the Boys

Jeff Handley said...

The pictures are awesome and Elliot is adorable!! As Kelly said, we're all praying for everyone to recover quickly. Hopefully you and Elliot can go home together.

Weylin and Tori said...

I am so happy that you finally got to hold Elliot! What a relief and happy moment! Sounds like you are doing so well despite all that has happened. Keep it up! You are so strong, and there is no doubt that you have passed that strength along to your children!

Love,
The Douglas'

Rosie said...

Lots of prayers heading your way for a double discharge this weekend! So happy to see that you have been able to cuddle with Elliot! I hope that the echo goes well and his breathing slows down soon. What did Noah think of his new brother?

FaithCDH said...

I love the pictures of you two holding him! I am so happy that you were able to hold him. We are saying prayers that his breathing gets under control and the heart murmur will resolve on its own with time. Thinking of you.

Amy, Steve, ^Faith^, and baby Miles

PS Faith had really dark hair like that too! I don't know where hers came from either.

Elizabeth said...

He is adorable. And it is good they are managing your pain. It helps with recovery. Noah and Zane are going to be wonderful big brothers. (I hope Zane feels better soon and does not share!)

Sending prayers,
Elizabeth