Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Preschool

All summer we have been pumping Noah for school. We have read books, visited the school, shopped for supplies, and talked about it every night before bed, in preparation for the big day. In his IEP, they really wanted him to work up to riding the bus to and from school every day and work up to going 4 days a week from 8-11. We live walking distance from the school, and the ride there and home is less than 2 min, but they felt that it was going to be such an integral part of this whole experience for him to have the separation at home and the independence of doing this on his own. Anxiety is HUGE for Noah, especially with separation in situation that he does not feel 100% safe and in control. Even after weeks and weeks of feeding therapy, he still would never go to the treatment rooms w/o me even though he was totally confidant of what would happen in there. So, I spent weeks agonizing over this, thinking sure I would be taking him and dropping him off for weeks, if not months, until he worked his way up to wanting to ride the bus. My stomach was in knots thinking about how scared he would be and second guessing if it was right to put him through this. I was sure that I would be called daily because he needed to come home because he couldn't be consoled....
Then the big day was upon us...



The actual putting him on the bus part was quite ugly. Brian and I were an absolute wreck after doing it. I felt HORRIBLE...until about 5 min later when we got a call from his teacher saying he was at school safe and sound and was smiling? What?? Noah? Not only did he stay the entire day, but he has stayed every day since then(minus some sick days). I have never had to take him or come pick him up early. He LOVES the bus and school! We can't believe how well the transition has gone! We are so so proud of him!!

3 comments:

Jeff Handley said...

Awwww.... that is wonderful!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's my boy!! I think the "school thing" sort of runs in the family! Way to go Noah! Grandma

Weylin and Tori said...

What a huge step for Noah! So glad he is tolerating the transition well, as I know that makes it so much easier for you!