Friday, October 23, 2009

We're here...well at least half of us.

So Elliot and I packed up the car and headed out to Evansville yesterday. We wanted to arrive early to tour the daycare that Elliot will be at and get checked into the hotel. Brian is working today, but due to arrive tonight with Noah.
Our drive was actually pretty good, just over 6 hours, including 1 stop along the way. Elliot did awesome in the car! When we arrived, I discovered the first of my dilemmas. How to unload an entire van full of junk with a baby in tow...Hmmmm. With the risk of looking like a complete freak show, I strapped Elliot into his booster chair and tied it onto a luggage cart and away we went. Of course I am on the 2nd floor, but thankfully there is an elevator in the hotel. So 5 carloads later, I decided to throw in the towel and leave the rest for when Brian got here. So, after unloading the last of the stuff off the cart (including Elliot), I opened the room door to push it into the hallway. As I was doing so, I heard a "thud" behind me and a sickening "click" sound. The sound of my hotel door closing with my 8 month old inside. Needless to say, I made my presence known when I arrived at the front desk at 80mph bawling that I had locked my son in the room and needed a new key. Rest assured, Elliot came out unscathed and didn't even notice I was gone. I doubt I will receive "mother-of-the-year" for that one. Okay, so recovering from that one took a little awhile, but we made it through the night in one piece. This morning we headed off to the daycare for a tour and to complete all the paperwork. Elliot will be attending the Ark Crisis Daycare. This is a wonderful state licensed daycare that services families in need of temporary childcare due to emergencies, illness, etc. They have graciously agreed to take Elliot for the entire time that Noah is in the program...and get this..it's free. They rely on donations and funding from local businesses to keep their doors open. What an amazing organization. I am hoping that Brian and I can give back to them as much as possible.
We want to give thanks again to our amazing, wonderful, supportive, loyal, generous, loving group of family and friends back home. We are never alone! I remind myself daily that there are many families going through these types of situations that have no support and we are forever grateful of our blessings!

3 comments:

Weylin and Tori said...

Wow! I don't know whose day was better--yours yesterday or mine today! So glad that you made it to Evansville safely! What a blessing to have a free daycare for Elliot! We'll be thinking of you and praying for success with the program! Don't forget about my friend in Evansville if you ever need anything!

Love,
Tori

Anonymous said...

Prayers for all the Bakers.

bikurgurl said...

We have you in our thoughts and prayers daily - we love you all and are praying for healing!!

Love, Kelly, Jeff, Xander, and Xaven