Sunday, June 14, 2009

What a week.....

So with Noah's birthday behind us, I was ready to move on and focus on feeding issues and tube feeds full force. I should have known Noah would have other plans! We had his two year check up in Ann Arbor on Tuesday. We met with the surgeon, dietitian, and OT. All went well and his surgeon was happy with his tube site and recent chest x-ray. We discussed current feeding strategy and some ideas to chew on for a few weeks and changes to make. I noticed that Noah was strangely docile while we were there, which is quite unlike him. When we got home I could tell he wasn't feeling well. Sure enough we were into the Dr Wed morning with a high fever. The pedi checked him out as well as Elliot (who is still coughing from two weeks ago). She said again that it was just viral and would have to run its course. She told me to expect fevers for a day or so and just to give Motrin. Elliot was diagnosed with reflux that was causing his chronic congestion. I have seen this coming for weeks so I was quite happy to get him some reflux medication started. Noah's fever spiked the next day as high as 104! They said as long as Motrin would keep it down not to panic. Motrin was bringing it down but only to about 101-102. He wasn't tolerating tube feeds and by Sat he was seemingly worse and his cough (from weeks ago) came back with a vengeance. Then he broke out in a rash that seemed to spread quickly. I called the pedi on call and we were told to take him to the emergency room. By the time I got there, he was coughing nonstop and his rash seemed to be everywhere. He was satting in the mid 80's so he was immediately given a breathing tx which quickly brought him back up into the 90's. They did a chest x-ray which showed no sign of pneumonia, thankfully. They did discover a pretty nasty ear infection and deemed the rash to be possible Scarlet Fever. There was a small moment of panic on my end when I heard that, but the Dr told me it is basically a side affect of strep and isn't as bad as it used to be many years ago before antibiotics. He was given an antibiotic for the ear infection as well as the scarlet fever. Thankfully they released him home. He still isn't tolerating tube feeds. Even 30cc made him wretch like crazy last night. I started him on a very low rate of pedialyte last night and he did better with it. This is the sickest I have seen him that's for sure. He is lethargic and miserable and the cough is just wearing him out. Right now he is laying on the couch with a pillow and blanket watching the Food Network. (Ironic viewing choice, I know). I am hoping that magical 24 hour mark of antibiotics will make him a new man.
Luckily Zane seems to have bypassed this all. He has been so great this week, being hauled around to Dr appts and a long road trip to Ann Arbor. Not a great start to his summer vacation, but what a trooper he has been. Now he is relaxing at his Mimi and Pappy's house for a much deserved break from his little brothers!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope Noah gets Better

Alison mommy to seth

FaithCDH said...

Geez Louise! Noah you know that you aren't supposed to be causing all of this trouble! Be a good little boy so that you can visit baby miles when she arrives.

Praying for Noah and Elliot ( one l and 2 t's??? or 2 l's and 1t?) to get all better.

Hope that things start to slow down on your end.

Love and hugs to you all!

bikurgurl said...

I am so happy that at least they finally found out what was causing Noah to be so ill! Oddly enough, my second cousin's child who is around 2 years old also has Scarlet Fever right now. Take care of him, but make sure to take care of you too!!

We look forward to seeing you this summer and finally meeting Baby Noah and Baby Elliot! The boys can hardly contain thier excitement :) They are thrilled to be seeing Zane at Mimi and Pappy's too!

Let us know what we can do - we'll be in town a week from today :)))))

Love, Kelly and the Boys

Jeff Handley said...

You aren't kidding that you need a more proactive doctor. I hope that Noah and Elliot recover soon.

We love you,
Jeff

Elizabeth said...

Rachel had Scarlett Fever too and it freaked me out then and they said it wasn't like it was on Little House!

I hope those anitbiotics kick in and he is a new little man soon. I also hope Elliot finally recovers too.

Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers,
Elizabeth